Demos have become a mainstay of FIRST Team 604 ever since the team’s inception. In a typical demo, we display our robots and explain how we built them, what we plan to do with them, and how the audience can become more involved. Initially, demos started out as fundraisers at Starbucks; however, as the team evolved and matured, so did the purpose of demos. Now we also do demos to raise the awareness of robotics, and to inspire others to join or create robotics teams. From past experiences, these demos have been very successful. For example, our demo at Bret Harte and at Simonds Elementary recruited seven new FLL teams! Not only does FIRST Team 604 have demos at local schools, but we have also done demos for boy scout troops, at senior citizen centers, and even for school children in Pune, India! Demos are a great way for us to share our passion for robotics with our community.
- Free Build a LEGO Robot Community Classes FIRST Team 604 holds an annual community class to teach children how to build and code the FIRST Lego League Robot and expanded workshops at the local library during school breaks.
- San Jose Family Shelter FIRST Team 604 brought Science and Engineering Activity Books and helped children perform simple experiments to inspire them about STEM.
- Discovery Day at AT&T park An annual event with hundreds of hands on activities to inspire children of all ages.
- IBM Girls' Technology Camp & Boys' Technology Camp FIRST Team 604 demonstrated robots to students at underserved middle schools in the Bay Area.
- Honduras A 604 team member helped children in Roatan, Honduras build and program EV3 robots and perform simple experiments from Spanish translations of our Science and Engineering Activity Books.
- Almaden Art and Wine Festival A robotics demonstration which encourages younger children to join the FIRST community.
- Intuitive Surgical Robonanza A friendly competition with other FRC teams to demonstrate their robots to employees and their children.
- Maker Faire FIRST team 604 went to the 2008 Maker Faire and has gone to every Maker Faire since 2010, excited to inspire and bring children of all ages into the STEAM community by demonstrating our robots.
- India FIRST Team 604 exposed over 450 disadvantaged children to VEX and LEGO robotics in Pune, India.
- San Jose Art Museums ZERO1 At the request of the San Jose Museum of Art, we showed three of our robots at the “Robots: Evolution of a Cultural Icon” exhibit. Then a few years later, FIRST team 604 returned to the 2010 ZERO1 Biennial event, once again inspiring children of all ages.
- Fleet Week Working with NASA and FRC 846, we showed of our robot at the 2011 San Francisco Fleet Week as well as helping kids drive VEX robots.